Thursday, July 9, 2015

Day 9: Feeling Small

Hello World! 

Sorry I disappeared for a few days.  I was enjoying some time off to recharge my batteries.  Cell phones and internet disappeared during my trip.   It is amazing how a little time on the water with my family can get you energized.   I hope you can experience a little downtime during the summer to enjoy the nice weather. 

Yesterday, I decided to take my own advice and explore before we headed home.   I went on a short hike with some friends to fly-fish an alpine lake that contained cutthroat trout.  As we started our journey, my mind started thinking about how this adventure is like a lot of situations that many of us face on a daily basis.

Q: Do we know where we are going?  
A: Kinda...

Q: How long is the hike?
A: I don't know

Q: What will it be when we get there?
A: I don't know...

My friends were not very sold on this adventure. I did not have a lot of answers and I was the designated guide.  Oh boy, we were in for it!   All I knew was that there were cutthroat trout in the lake and that was all I needed to motivate me to move forward.  However, this thought became weaker and weaker as the "short" hike was uphill for a mile and a half.   When I say uphill, it was a pretty brutal hike.    However, when we crested the summit, it was all worth it.  



This adventure was like a lot of situations that I have experienced at work.   A lot of unknowns that could have deterred me from moving forward.   However, how many times have we all experienced these situations where it seems easier to give up, but we are determined to keep moving forward?  When I thought that the trail would kill me, I remembered that there was a finish line.   It also helped to know that I was able to go downhill on the way back!

At Microsoft, we are a culture that thrives on taking something that is not 100% established and taking one step at a time to help develop it.  We are a culture that has a vision and will not give up until we see the alpine lake nestled within the mountain tops.    It is such a blessing to be able to experience exploring uncharted territories in both my personal and professional life.  

Continue to explore- Adventures are all around us, go find one!

Until next time!

-Goggle Man out!

No comments:

Post a Comment